On April 9, experts in radiological, chemical and biological warfare and medics inspected the parts of the town of Douma, located in the Damascus subrub of Eastern Ghouta, where the alleged chemical attack took place on April 7.
Following the inspection, the Russian Ministry revealed that it had found no traces of chemical weapons use. According to the military, photos of victims posted by the so-called White Helmets are fake.
“All these facts show… that no chemical weapons were used in the town of Douma, as it was claimed by the White Helmets,” the military said. “All the accusations brought by the White Helmets, as well as their photos… allegedly showing the victims of the chemical attack, are nothing more than a yet another piece of fake news and an attempt to disrupt the ceasefire.”
Reports about the alleged chemical attack in Douma, which appeared on April 7, triggered a new round of escalation in Syria as the so-called “international community” mostly led by the US and Israel immediately accused the Syrian government of being behind the attack. US President Donald Trump also blamed Russia and Iran and promised that they as well as the Assad government will play a “big price” for the incident.
Despite Trump’s threats, the US has taken no military action so far. However, US Defense Secretary James Mattis said that he does not “rule out anything right now” indicating that a miltiary action is still on the table.
Later President Trump said that he will soon decide on potential actions against Syria in response to the alleged chemical weapons use in Douma. According to Trump, the decision will be made within 24-48 hours.
He promised a swift response to the “heinous attack” adding that “this is about humanity and it can’t be allowed to happen.”