The Russian Defense Ministry has taken measures to protect Russian military and military facilities in Syria from possible airstrikes of the US-led coalition.
After the airstrike of the US Air Force on positions of the Syrian Army in Deir ez-Zor, Russia has taken measures to avoid similar ‘mistakes’ in regard to military of the Russian Armed Forces, spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry, Major-General Igor Konashenkov, said.
“I draw attention of ‘the hotheads’ to the fact that after the airstrike of the coalition’s aircraft on Syrian troops in Deir ez-Zor on September 17, we have taken all necessary measures to avoid any such ‘mistakes’ in regard to Russian military and military facilities in Syria,” Konashenkov said during a briefing.
Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry reported that the S-200, the Buk and other air defense systems are currently in service of the Syrian Army. According to the Defense Ministry, its technical condition was restored for the last year.
“Today, effective anti-aircraft missile systems, such as the S-200, the Buk and other air defense systems are in service of the Syrian Army. Its technical condition was restored for the last year,” the official website of the Russian Defense Ministry reads.
Earlier, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that exactly Russian high-precision modern weapons made Syrian terrorists to retreat. During the year of presence of Russian military in Syria, large areas have been liberated from terrorists, and the situation in the country has stabilized, Shoigu added.
During the military operation in Syria, the Russian Aerospace Forces not only attacked terrorists and their infrastructure, but also helped to deliver humanitarian aid to the population, the defense minister noted.