The military phase of the Syrian conflict has ended, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Russia, said at the Moscow International Security Conference on April 24.
“Currently, the military phase of the conflict is over. Within two years, with the Russian support, the collapse of the Syrian state was prevented, and most of the country’s territory was returned to the control of government forces,” the Russian commander said, according to Interfax.
Gen. Gerasimov added that that all the conditions needed for a political settlement and a reconciliation process in Syria have been set. He also stressed that there will be no more “large-scale military operations” in the war-torn country.
The Russian commander revealed that the support of Russian forces has allowed the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) to liberate 1,400 settlements and 8 oil and gas fields throughout Syria. The Russian military campaign in Middle Eastern country began in mid-2015.
Commenting on the US-led coalition operations in Syria, Gen. Gerasimov said that at least 3,000 people, including 1,400 women and children, were killed by the coalition. These numbers are close to those provided by independent groups, such as AirWars.
While Syria will not likely witness any large-scale battles from now on, the country is still far from being stable. Last week, more than 50 Syrian service members were killed by terrorist groups. The northeastern part of the country is also witnessing unprecedented tension between Turkey and local Kurdish forces.