More than 120 Syrian soldiers and civilians were killed in militants attacks in the last two weeks, the commander of the Russian Reconciliation Center in Syria revealed on January 23.
In his daily briefing, Maj. Gen. Yuri Borenkov said that militants stationed in the Idlib de-escalation zone have carried out 30 attacks since January 9. During the same period, militants shelled civilian areas around Idlib 683 times.
“Since January 9, this year, as a result of militants’ attacks and shelling, 55 Syrian service members were killed and 94 others were injured, 71 civilians were also killed and 149 others were injured,” Maj. Gen. Borenkov said.
Earlier, the Russian Reconciliation Center and the Ministry of Defense of Syria reported that the militants killed dozens of Syrian soldiers in a large-scale attack in southeastern Idlib.
These claimed were refuted by several pro-government and even opposition sources, which said that the region didn’t witness any ground attack in the last few days.
Earlier this month, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) amassed two strike forces in southeast Idlib and in southwest Aleppo. However, the army is yet to carry out any serious operations in these regions.