The Ministry of Defense of Russia denied on July 18 recent reports claiming that Russian special forces are taking part in the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) ground operations in Greater Idlib.
“News claiming the involvement of Russian special forces and ground forces in the battles in Idlib province is, yet again, false news … Russia has had no and has no ground forces in Syria,” an official statement by the ministry reads.
A day earlier, Reuters reported that the Russian military deployed special forces to support the SAA operations in Idlib, citing a spokesman for the Turkish-backed National Front for Liberation (NFL).
The spokesman, Cpt. Naji Mustafa, said that this was the first time Moscow had sent ground troops on the battlefield. As expected he provided no evidence what so ever to back his claims.
“These special Russian forces are now present in the battlefield. The Russians are intervening directly now,” Cpt. Mustafa told Reuters.
These false claims are nothing new. Over the last few years, opposition commanders mad many accusations against Damascus allies. Last year, some commanders claimed that Hezbollah and Iranian forces in Syria were using Russian flags to “hide from Israeli warplanes.”
More on this topic: