The mainstream media continues spreading rumors and unconfirmed reports about the alleged casualties among Russian prviate military contractors in Syria.
On February 15, Reuters claimed that “300 men working for a Kremlin-linked Russian private military firm were either killed or injured in Syria last week”. The report as all the previous claims about hundreds of casualties among the alleged Russians was based on anonymous sources.
“A Russian military doctor said around 100 had been killed, and a source who knows several of the fighters said the death toll was in excess of 80 men.
The timing of the casualties coincided with a battle on Feb. 7 near the Syrian city of Deir al-Zor where, according to U.S. officials and associates of the fighters involved [also anonymous], U.S.-led coalition forces attacked forces aligned with Moscow’s ally, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad,” Reuters’ article reads.
Earlier, the Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed the death of 5 Russian citizens in Syria “as a result of the armed conflict”. No Russian military service members were among them.