In the night of March 12, several improvised explosive devices (IEDs) exploded near a convoy of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), while it was passing through the area of al-Haramiyah inside the city of Raqqa.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said that 4 personnel of the SDF’s security forces, known as Asayish, were severely injured in the attack.
A day later, special sources told the pro-government Sama TV that the attack was carried out by the so called “Popular Resistance” in Raqqa. The Popular Resistance’s media office confirmed these claims and released a short video showing the attack.
The Popular Resistance was established in April of last year by Arabs from the governorates of Raqqa, al-Hasakah and Deir Ezzor. Since its establishment, the group has claimed responsibility for a few small-scale operations, mainly against the SDF.
The attack in Raqqa may indicate that the Popular Resistance is planning to escalate its operations against occupation forces in the upcoming months. This is likely a direct result of the U.S new decision to keep forces in northeastern Syria.
More on this topic: