On Wednesday, Col. Romeo Brawner, Deputy Commander of the Joint Task Group Ranao of the Philippine Army said that the liberation of Marawi city is the responsibility of the Philippine Army only.
Brawner’s statement is believed to be aimed at denying reports that the United States may carry out airstrikes against ISIS in the Philippine city of Marawi .
“No need for additional troops from other countries. The Armed Forces of Philippine is capable, we have enough ammunition and troops to finish the mission,” Col. Romeo Brawner said. “It is the responsibility of the Philippine government to protect our territory and our people ….foreign troops in our territory is against our Constitution.”
Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, Eduardo Año, said yesterday that a direct US military intervention “may only be allowed during actual invasion of the Philippines by another state actor”.
Meanwhile, ISIS commanders, Isnilon Hapilon, Omar Maute and Abdullah Maute may be still alive, according to some reports. These reports claimed that these commanders were not killed during the Marawi battle as had been previously announced.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier presented a P10 million reward for the killing of Hapilon, and a P5 million reward for killing each Abdullah and his brother Omar.