Pentagon spokesman, Commander Sean Robertson, revealed on February 23 the 200 US troops who will remain in northeastern Syria after the supposed pullout will be a part of a multinational force which will establish a safe zone in the region.
“The multinational observing and monitoring force will be made up primarily of NATO allies, who along with U.S. forces will maintain stability and prevent an ISIS resurgence in Syria,” the Anadolu Agency quoted Cmdr. Robertson as saying.
Citing a military source, the Turkish state-run agency said that Turkish and Kurdish forces would not be involved in the planned safe zone, which will be established along the Turkish border, east of the Euphrates River.
The plan to establish a safe-zone controlled by a multinational force was first confirmed by U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, who said last week that Washington will ask its allies in Europe to commit hundreds of troops to create the zone.
Beside U.S. forces, hundreds of troops from the UK, France and Australia will likely form the core of the multinational force, according to previous reports.
Cmdr. Robertson also confirmed to reporters that another 200 US troops will remain in the area of al-Tanaf in southeastern Syria. Washington hopes that its military presence there will block a key highway that links Tehran, Baghdad, Damascus and Beirut.
Last December, U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he will withdraw “all” US troops from the war-torn country. However, the pressure from the mainstream media, politicians and even officials within his own administration has apparently forced him to make a U-turn.
- US forces will stay in Syria: Negotiations with the Kurds will be complicated, as Syria prepares for an Idlib offensive