On November 4, The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced that a VBIED of ISIS attacked a gathering of Syrian refugees between the CONICO gas facility and the Jafra oil field north of Deir Ezzor city. The SDF said that over 100 civilians were killed and dozens others were injured in the attack.
The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) also said that ISIS was behind the attack on the civilian refugees. However, the ISIS-linked news Agency didn’t release any info about the attack so far.
This is the second attack of ISIS against civilian refugees in eastern Syria. Back on October 12, an ISIS suicide bomber driving a VBIED targeted a gathering of civilians near Abu Fas area on the al-Hasakah–Deir Ezzor highway killing over 40 civilians.
Meanwhile, Kurdish sources claimed that the SDF advanced in the southeastern Deir Ezzor countryside and captured Sarhit, Shudayha, Younes, Galban and Shaitat oil fields south of the al-Tanak oil field. However, the SDF is yet to confirm these claims.
If this advance is confirmed, the SDF will be only 40~50km away from the last ISIS stronghold in Syria, al-Bukamal city.