The Houthis’ spokesman shared new details and footage of the Yemeni group’s recent successful operation near the capital, Sanaa, in a new conference that was held on January 31.
Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari said that Operation Solid Structure, which included defensive and offensive phases, was carried out to deter the Saudi-led coalition that was planning a large-scale attack on Sanaa for months.
“The main objective of Operation Solid Structure was to deter enemy forces and push them out of the region [the district of Nihm near Sanaa], thus completely securing the region … The operation was also aimed to thwart the attack on our forces and advance to areas close to the capital, Sanaa,” the spokesman said.
According to the spokesman, 1,500 Saudi-backed fighters were killed and 1,830 others were injured in this operation, which covered Nihm’s four directions. Hundreds of other fighters were captured by the Houthis.
The videos shared by the spokesman shows dozens of armored vehicles, infantry fighting vehicles (IFV), battle tanks, engineer vehicles, artillery pieces and rocket launchers which were captured or destroyed by the Houthis.
Brig. Gen. Sari revealed that the Yemeni Air Defense Force took part in the operation, carrying out 25 engagements with Saudi-led coalition aircraft.
The Yemeni Missile Force and Air Force also participated. 62 drone and missile strikes targeted coalition positions in the operation’s sector, as well as key facilities in Saudi Arabia.
Operation Solid Structure didn’t only foil Saudi-led coalition plans to attack the capital, but also allowed the Houthis to impose control of 2,500 km2 near Sanaa.
The Saudi-led coalition has not commented on the matter, so far. Last year, the coalition suffered from several similar defeats from the Houthis while it was attempting to advance in northern Yemen and along the country’s western coast.