The number of rockets which have been fired by the al-Quds Brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), since the start of Israel’s Operation Breaking Dawn on August 5 has exceeded 261, according to the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).
The IDF claimed that Iron Dome systems had successfully intercepted 95% of rockets that were heading towards populated areas.
Despite an increase in Israeli strikes on Gaza, the al-Quds Brigades escalated its rockets attacks on August 6. The faction targeted several towns and cities in southern and central Israel, including Tel Aviv. Footage of some of the recent attack were released.
The Magen David Adom, Israel’s main emergency service, said it has evacuated 21 people to hospitals, two lightly wounded from shrapnel, 13 after falling while running to shelter and six for anxiety, since the start of Operation Breaking Dawn.
The results of the Israeli strikes on Gaza were more severe. According to the most recent update by the Health Ministry in the enclave, 15 people, including a five-year-old girl and a 79-year-old woman, have been killed, so far. More than 140 others were wounded.
The IDF said it launched Operation Breaking Dawn following threats by the PIJ, whose military wing has been very active in the West Bank.
Israel may be planning to further escalate its operation. During a visit to the Southern Command, Chief of General Staff of the IDF Lieutenant General Aviv Kohavi said that Israel will strike the PIJ in the Gaza Strip, West Bank and other areas.
Egypt is currently making efforts to end the Israeli operation. However, both the IDF and the PIJ are not reportedly ready yet to cease fire.