0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
1,639 $

Night Of Clashes Between GNA And LNA, With No Apparent End In Sight

Support SouthFront

Night Of Clashes Between GNA And LNA, With No Apparent End In Sight

Click to see full-size image

On April 23rd and in the early hours of April 24th, the fight for the Al Hira area was heavily contested between the Government of National Accord (GNA) forces and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA).

The Facebook page of the GNA forces published pictures of their combat vehicles, in addition to a briefing on its activities on April 23rd.

#عملية_بركان_الغضب: صور اخرى تُظهر جانباً من الآليات التي سيطرت عليها قوات المنطقة العسكرية الغربية خلال تقدّمها الحاسم…

Posted by ‎عملية بركان الغضب‎ on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

A brief press Conference "Burkan Alghadab" Tuesday 23rd April 2019 Today, the Libyan Air Force carried out seven…

Posted by ‎عملية بركان الغضب‎ on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The press briefing claimed that the UAE was supplying combat vehicles to the LNA, but despite that the GNA was actually gaining the advantage.

In the early hours of April 23rd, the GNA launched an attack on Al Hira, just to the north of Gharyan and south of Tripoli.

Hours later it was announced that the GNA forces had put Al Hira fully under their control. The LNA retreated to the northern entrance of Gharyan.

Haftar’s forces also left destroyed military vehicles while they were retreating.

After a prolonged fight, the GNA were expelled by LNA forces in the morning of April 24th. There were also photographs provided of results of airstrikes.

It appears that the offensive on Tripoli is being stalled, as the GNA reportedly left 30 LNA fighters dead in clashes in Southern Tripoli. According to UN data over 260 people have died in the clashes since April 4th.

The LNA air force struck an area west of Tripoli, the significance is unclear, and there were no reported casualties and material damages.


Haftar’s forces undertook another offensive in the area of Ein Zara, near the Al Istirahat Al Hamra. Tripoli.

Meanwhile, possibly connected to Trump’s recognition of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the USS John C. Stennis (CNV-74) transited the Suez Canal on April 20th and is sailing towards the west in the Central Mediterranean sea.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the GNA had closed Zawiya, the main oil terminal in west Libya. The NOC site was completely shut down. If the report is true, that means 300,000 barrels per day from the Sharara field and 75,000 barrels per day from the El Feel field are cut off from Libya’s 1.2 million barrels per day.

The NOC chairman refused to speak at the Paris Oil Summit. Reportedly, Mustafa Sanalla’s refusal to speak was “due to what he saw as inadequate support from the French government to Haftar, according to a source close to the matter.”

An Airbus A320-212 of the Libyan private company Rahila Air (whose fleet consists of only two planes) is landing at the airport of Tripoli-Mitiga. It arrived from Istanbul.

It is unclear what the airplane’s cargo was.

Separately, Al Jazeera reported that refugees and migrants in a detention center at the frontline between the LNA and GNA were shot at by Haftar’s forces.

The information came from an alleged Eritrean detainee who contacted the outlet via WhatsApp. At least 10 people were seriously wounded by gunfire, detainees said.

“Right now they are attacking the centre, shooting more people … They are shooting us directly,” the source said.

Paula Barrachina, a spokeswoman for the UNHCR, was cited: “We’re extremely worried about the events that happened today in Qasr bin Ghashir and we are working to find a solution to bring them to a safer location.”

Another detainee was cited as saying that fighters searched for telephones at first and that GNA authorities had attempted to move the detainees but to no avail.


Support SouthFront


Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x