The Nigerian Armed Forces (NAF) have suffered heavy losses in a recent attack on the remaining ISIS cells in the northeastern province of Borno.
ISIS’s news agency, Amaq, said the failed attack targeted the terrorist group’s positions near the town of Baga on March 9. The terrorists quickly repelled the attack, inflicting heavy losses on the NAF.
“Islamic State fighters killed and wounded 10 Nigerian army soldiers while repelling the attack, they also burned six armored vehicles, two trucks, and a 4×4 vehicle,” a source in ISIS told Amaq.
According to the source, ISIS terrorists also captured four 4×4 vehicles, a bulldozer as well as a truck-mounted Grad multiple rocket launcher (MRL).
Amaq released a photo of a Saurer 4K 4FA armored personnel carrier (APS) of the NAF that was allegedly burned during the failed attack. The agency also shared a video showing two Nigerian soldiers, who were captured by ISIS fighters, and the dead body of a third soldier.
The Defence Ministry of Nigeria is yet to comment on ISIS’ claims or to release a statement clarifying what exactly happened near Baga.
Last year witnessed a notable decline in ISIS activities in Nigeria. However, the terrorist group is now, once again, on the move to rebuild its influence in the country, mainly in the northeastern region neighboring the Chad Lake.