The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have handed over two French commanders of ISIS to Damascus government forces, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) revealed on February 24.
The monitoring group, which is known for its close ties to the US-led coalition, didn’t provide any additional information. Furthermore, the SDF has not commented on the matter as for now.
Earlier this week, several sources, including Reuters, al-Arabia and the SOHR, reported that US-backed forces had handed over from 150 to 500 foreign fighters and commanders of the terrorist group to Iraqi authorities.
However, Adnan Afrin, a commander in the SDF, said that no terrorists were handed over to the Iraqi side. The Kurdish commander also denied the presence of any agreement with Iraq.
“There is no talks about such agreement … If this happen it will be officially announced,” Adnan said, according to the Baghdad Post.
The fate of ISIS foreign fighters who were captured by the SDF has become a real problem for the US-led coalition, which is planning to withdraw most of its forces from Syria within a few months.
Earlier this month, U.S. President Donald Trump aksed its allies, especially in Europe, to take back their citizens who had been captured during the fight against ISIS in Syria and put them on trial. However, no state has agreed to this demand as for now.
Handing over these dangerous terrorists to the authorities in Iraq and Syria, where they can by trailed by recognized judiciary could appear to be the only valid solution for this problem.