Click to see full-size image
- Initial deployment of the CSTO collective peacekeeping forces was completed. CSTO troops will stay in Kazakhstan until the full stabilization.
- CSTO forces are guarding military, state and social facilities in Almaty and the areas adjacent to the city.
- 5 800 people were detained during the protests.
- About 300 armed people with money in tenge and foreign currencies were detained while trying to cross the border.
- January 10 has been declared a day of national mourning.
- The number of victims during the protests amounted to 2,265.
- The Ministry of Health claimed that 164 people were killed during the riots: 103 in Almaty, 21 in Kyzylorda region, 10 in Zhambyl region, 8 in Almaty region, including three children. The claim was later denied.
- 16 police officers, servicemen of the National Guard and the Ministry of Defense were killed. Over 1.3 thousand more were injured, according to the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- On January 8, clashes were reported near the village of Rayumbek in the west of Almaty.
- On January 9, a counter-terrorism operation in Kazakhstan is underway.
MORE ON THE TOPIC: