The Syrian government and militant groups operating in the Wadi Barada area have reached a reconciliation agreement. The agreement was brokered by a delegation of Russian officers that had arrived the area.
According to the agreement:
- Militant groups have to hand over light, medium and heavy weapons to the Syrian army;
- All foreign militants have to withdraw from Wadi Barada. The can move to Idlib with light weapons;
- Local members of militant groups can stay in Wadi Barada or move to Idlib;
- Local members of militant groups that choose to stay in Wadi Barada will be pardoned by the government;
- The Syrian army will enter villages in the Wadi Barada area and will set up checkpoints there.
Last night the Syrian army and the National Defense Forces (NDF) made a major advance in Wadi Barada capturing Dahret al-Nhaylah which overlooks Kafr al-Awamid. This and participation of the Russian military delegation in the negotiations were key facts that pushed the so-called “opposition” to accept the terms of the agreement.
The military situation in the area prior to the recent government advance: