On July 18, two rockets struck a civilian building in the Shahba al-Jadidah district in the city of Aleppo in Syria’s northern region.
The rocket attack caused some material damage. Nevertheless, the Syrian Arab News Agency said that the attack had not resulted in any human losses.
A source in Aleppo’s Police Department told the state-run agency that the rockets were fired from militant-held areas in the western countryside of Aleppo. The area is a part of the so-called Greater Idlib region.
The 122 mm rockets used in the attack were Turkish-made of the T-122 Sakarya type. Rockets of this type have been supplied to many factions in Greater Idlib in the last few years.
Turkish 122mm Grad rockets fall on Aleppo pic.twitter.com/1gkECzJ9r4
— ZOKA (@200_zoka) July 18, 2021
The attack represents a blatant violation of the ceasefire in Greater Idlib, which was brokered by Russia and Turkey on March 5 of last year.
No group has claimed responsibility for the rocket attack, yet. Al-Qaeda-affiliated Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham and the Turkish-backed National Front for Liberation are both known to be present in the western Aleppo countryside.
The attack will likely provoke a fierce response from the Syrian Arab Army and its allies, first and foremost the Russian Aerospace Forces.
- ISIS Shared Footage Of Embarrassing Attack On Oil Taker In Northeastern Syria
- Suspected US Strike Destroyed PMU Truck On Syrian-Iraqi Border (Video)