Radical militants launched a barrage of Grad rockets on the Russian Hmeimim airbase in southern Lattakia a few hours after reports claiming that a ceasefire was reached around Idlib.
Local sources said on May 18 that most of the rockets were intercepted by Russian air-defense systems. However, the rest landed in the towns of Acharashir and Hwaiz in the outskirt of the airbase.
According to the Syrian Arab News Agency, a civilian was killed and several others were injured as a result of the rocket strike, which was carried out from the demilitarized zone around Idlib.
A few hours before the rocket attack, Sputnik reported that a temporary ceasefire that covers Hama, Idlib and Lattakia was reached.
“The cease-fire will take effect at mid-night, for 72 hours,” a military commander told the Russian news agency.
No group has claimed responsibility for the rocket attack on the Hmeimim airbase, so far. However, the National Front for Liberation (NFL) had rejected the ceasefire, vowing to continue its attacks on Syrian and Russian forces. This led many activists into believing that the Turkish-backed coalition was responsible for the attack.
Despite the rocket attack on Hmeimim, the frontline in northern Hama is still calm. Damascus and Moscow are likely planning to go forward with the temporary ceasefire, for not so clear reasons.