On August 5, General Commander of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), Siban Hamo, told the UK-based Asharq al-Awsat newspaper that his forces are ready to participate in the upcoming operation against ISIS cells in the eastern al-Suwayda countryside.
“ISIS launched barbaric attacks against our people in al-Suwayda. The pain of the Druze is the same pain we felt in Kobane and Afrin … We do not distinguish between these attacks and those against al-Suwayda. The YPG is ready to dispatch forces to liberate it from terrorism,” Hamo said.
Furthermore, Hamo noted that the YPG liberated third of Syria’s territory from ISIS, which proves the effectiveness of the Kurdish group, according to him.
Last week, ISIS fighters killed more than 250 civilians during a brutal attack on several villages in the eastern al-Suwayda countryside. The terrorist group also abducted more than 30 locals, mostly women and children.
Currently, the SAA and local fighters are preparing to launch a large scale operation against the remaining fighters of ISIS in the eastern al-Suwayda countryside. The Russian Aerospace Forces are expected to play a key role in the upcoming operation against the terrorist group.
The Damascus government will likely reject the YPG’s offer due to the group’s close ties to the US-led coalition, which is operating in the area of al-Tanaf north of al-Suwayda.