Russian forces remaining in Syria are have capabilities to repel attacks by militants, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the media on January 9.
“The remaining contingent and military infrastructure at Hmeymim and Tartus have the necessary capabilities to counter sporadic terrorist hit-and-run raids, which will regrettably continue. This merely emphasizes the need for stepping up political settlement efforts,” Peskov said when asked if the recent drone attack against the Khmeimim air base was evidence the pullout of the Russian contingent from Syria had been premature.
Pesko added that when Moscow decided to withdraw a part of its forces in Syria, it “proceeded from the assumption there are no grounds for conducting major offensive operations.”
“Everybody, including the president, were aware that terrorists’ attacks would not come to an end overnight, but will continue,” Peskov added.