Many of our supporters have recently faced issues with making donations to SouthFront via PayPal. This has appeared as a result of the following situation:
1. In February, we had to move to a new PayPal account. IMPORTANT: the PayPal address remains the same – firstname.lastname@example.org.
It should be noted that we informed PayPal beforehand about this situation in mid-January.
2. After moving it appeared that PayPal’s donation buttons user interface was working incorrectly. The issue is that regardless your location (the US, the UK, Germany, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc), after clicking on the donation button, you will always see a donation interface in Russian. This is despite the fact that all buttons are manually set up to have an English interface. Previously, all used to work correctly with these settings.
3. SouthFront immediately contacted PayPal Support over this situation. This was on February 28. The first response, which we received, claimed that all worked well. However, when the problem appeared to be obvious, PayPal Support advised us to contact PayPal Technical Support (https://www.paypal-support.com). We created a ticket via PayPal Technical Support website on March 1. In a following comment, we also suggested a way how it’s possible to solve this issue immediately.
4. Since March 1, we had received no substantive answer. The issue with the interface of the donation buttons had not been solved. In response to our additional requests, PayPal Support provides formal replies, which claim that PayPal Technical Support has too much things to do and needs additional time.
5. It looks like that SouthFront once again faced a political-motivated action from our ill-wishers that want to damage the organization and limit the freedom of speech. As a result of this situation since March 1, SouthFront has collected 920 USD only. This is about 18% of the monthly minimum budget needed to continue our work.
6. In this situation, SouthFront created alternative options allowing our readers, subscribers and supporters to donate via PayPal.
– Enter any nickname and donation amount ($20 or more)
– Confirm your donation amount
– Log in your PayPal and follow instructions
– Enter any nickname and donation amount (#10 or more)
– Choose your donation option, enter email and proceed to check out
– Follow instructions
You can also donate via PayPal buttons. However, please, pay attention that their interface is in Russian:
7. Dear friends, we regret that you’ve faced additional difficulties as a result of the current situation with PayPal. We hope that the honesty will prevail among PayPal management as in the previous cases when individual members of PayPal staff was attempting to create problems to SouthFront work.
8. With this appeal, we ask you, our friends, readers and subscribers to support SouthFront despite the existing technical difficulties. If you faced some additional technical problems with making donations, please, contact us via email@example.com.
We also want to call attention of the PayPal management to this situation.
SouthFront: Analysis & Intelligence