On December 4, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) claimed that it had destroyed a 200m-long “attack tunnel” of Hezbollah at the Israeli-Lebanese border. According to the IDF, the tunnel penetrated 40 meters into Israel near northern town of Metulla, but was not yet a threat to residents.
“At this time, having exposed the tunnel, IDF soldiers are conducting engineering and operational efforts before neutralizing it,” the IDF said in a statement.
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) December 4, 2018
The tunnel was “neutralized” in the framework of the operation Northern Shield, which was kicked off earlier this week. The goal of the operation is to find and destroy tunnels allegedly created by Hezbollah to attack Israel in case of the conflict.
Currently, the IDF operation is ongoing on the Israeli side of the contact line. However, the IDF claims that the military effort could be expanded into Lebanese territory.
“We are prepared for all options, and the operation is only in its first day. The neutralizing of the tunnels will not necessarily take place within our territory,” IDF Spokesperson Ronen Manelis said.
Netanyahu Launches Short Victorious War On ‘Hezbollah Tunnels’ In Attempt To Draw Public Attention From Corruption Charges Against Himself