Islamic State Claims Responsibility for Suicide Bomb in Baghdad

Donate

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the suicide bomb on Tuesday morning in Baghdad that took the lives of 3 people and wounded another 27.

Islamic State Claims Responsibility for Suicide Bomb in Baghdad

Iraqi security forces gather at the site of a bomb attack in Baghdad’s Bab Sharji district, March 29, 2016. REUTERS/Khalid al Mousily

A police official claimed that a suicide bomber from ISIS has blew himself up, targeting central Baghdad. The attack killed 3 civilians and wounded 27 more.

Iraqi Interior Ministry’s spokesman Brigadier General Saad Maan told the National Iraqi News Agency that a suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering of construction workers in Bab Sharji, about a kilometer from a sit-in held by supporters of influential Shi’lte cleric Moqtada al-Sadr to demand political reforms, in the capital city.

At first, there wasn’t immediate claim for taken responsibility by anyone. Later, in an online statement, the IS said that the blast war organized by them. They also claimed responsibility in a statement on Amaq news agency for the suicide bombing on 25 March that killed 26 people and wounded 70 more, many of them children, at an amateur soccer game in Iskandariya, south of Baghdad.

Another 60 people were killed earlier this month in Hilla, when an explosives-laden fuel tanker slammed into an Iraqi security checkpoint.

The recent attacks in Iraq provoked analysts to interpret the situation in Iraq in different ways. Analysts in Europe believe that this is similar to the attacks in Brussels and Paris and that the organization is trying to impose its control, responding to the setbacks in Syria and Iraq.

On the other hand, Iraqi analysts believe that this is not the case and that ISIS is only continuing its most successful attacks in the face of suicide bombings.

Donate

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!