Late on August 5, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) launched dozens of rockets from the Gaza Strip in response to the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) ongoing attack on the enclave.
In a statement, the military wing of the PIJ, the al-Quds Brigades, said it had attacked Israeli settlements near Gaza and Tel Aviv with a hundred rocket. The faction noted that this was only an “initial” response to Operation Breaking Dawn, which was launched by the IDF early on in the day.
Meanwhile, Israeli media sources said that more than 80 rockets were launched from Gaza at nearby settlements, including the cities of Ashkelon and Sderot. Rocket sirens were also heard in Tell Aviv and its southern outskirts. No casualties or material losses have been reported, so far. According to the media sources, most of the rockets were either intercepted by the Iron Dome systems, or landed in empty areas.
The IDF said that the operation is only directed against the PIJ, citing recent threats by the group over tensions in the West Bank as a casus belli.
Dozens of Israeli strikes have already hit several targets of the al-Quds Brigades. The IDF said the most recent wave of strikes targeted two weapons depot and a rocket launch site of the faction.
Operation Breaking Dawn have so far claimed the lives of ten people, including Tayseer Jabari, the commander of the al-Quds Brigades in Gaza’s northern sector. Jabari was assassinated in the very first few minutes of the operation.
Prime Minister Yair Lapid said that Israel is not seeking a full-scale operation against Gaza. Still, the ongoing confrontation will likely escalate further in the upcoming hours as the PIJ and other Palestinian factions in Gaza, especially the Hamas Movement, start to strike back.
- Death Toll In Gaza Rises As More Israeli Strike Hit Islamic Jihad (Videos)
- Israel Kicks Off Military Operation In Gaza, Kills Senior Islamic Jihad Leader (Videos)