The Iraqi military launched on December 29 a large-scale military operation, dubbed Will of Victory 8, against ISIS cells in different parts of the country.
In an official statement released by the Security Media Cell (SMC) Facebook page, the army revealed that the operation will cover the five regions:
- The western province of Nineveh, where the 73rd and 92th Infantry Divisions of the 15th Division, and the 43th, 60th and 21st Infantry Brigades of the 20th Division will be leading operations;
- The western region of Jazira, where The 7th Division, the Jazira Commandos Brigade, the 8th Infantry Division, the 8th Infantry Division, the 8th Mechanized Infantry Division and the 30th Infantry Division will be leading operations;
- The central province of Saladin, where the 91st Infantry Brigade and forces from the Saladin Police Command will be leading operations;
- The eastern province of Diyala, where the 5th Division and forces from the Diyala Police Command will be leading operations;
- The northeastern province of Kirkuk, where the 9th Armored Division, the 18th and 15th Brigades of the Federal Police, the 45th Infantry Brigade of the 11th Division, the 52th Infantry Division of the 14th Division we well as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigades of the Rapid Response Division will be leading operations.
The operation will be backed by the U.S.-led coalition, the Tribal Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) and all Iraqi security and intelligence agencies.
“These operations aim to search and clear areas, villages and open spaces, to track and arrest wanted persons, dry up the remnants of terrorism and maintain stability and security,” said Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir Rashid Yarallah, the Iraqi military’s deputy commander of operations, in the SMC’s statement.
Will of Victory 8 appears to be one of the biggest counter-terrorism operations carried out by the Iraqi military following the defeat of ISIS in 2017.
The Iraqi military SMC’s released the following videos and photos of the operation:
- More on this topic:
Several US Troops Injured, Contractor Killed In Shelling At US Base In Iraq