Militants who carried out a terrorist attack on a military parade in the Iranian city of Ahvaz on September 22 are linked to the US and Israel, Iranian Armed Forces spokesman, Brig. Gen. Abolfazl Shekarchi, told the country’s news agency IRNA.
“These terrorists are not members of the Daesh [ISIS] and do not belong to groups fighting the Islamic system. These people are linked to the United States and [Israel’s] Mossad. These militants were organized and trained by two countries of the Persian Gulf,” Shekarchi told the news agency.
The military official added that Iranian forces elimiated four militants involved in the attack.
Earlier on the same day, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif stated that “regional terror sponsors and their US masters” were behind the attack in Ahvaz, in which at least 24 people were killed and over 50 were injured.
It’s still unclear what group was behind the attack. A spokesman for the Ahvaz National Resistance, an militant group that claims to defend the rights of the Arab minority in Khuzestan, said the group was behind the attack. At the same time, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack via its news agency Amaq.