A Ukrainian sabotage group, which was plotting a terrorist attack at the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP), had been detained in Enerhodar city, Vladimir Rogov, a member of the main council of the Zaporozhye region military-civil administration, said on August 31.
“A group of Ukrainian saboteurs who were preparing a terrorist attack at the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant was detained,” Rogov told Sputnik.
The saboteurs were armed with three British-supplied NLAW anti-tank missiles and equipped with US-supplied a Starlink satellite internet terminal.
Earlier, the Russian Ministry of Defense reported that a shell fired by the Ukrainian artillery hit the radioactive waste processing complex in the Zaporozhye NPP.
The plant was captured by the Russian military and its allies in March. Kiev forces were using the plant as a military position. Loads of weapons and ammunition were stored there.
Kiev forces escalated their attacks on the Zaporozhye NPP in the last few weeks, threatening the country and its neighbors with a serious nuclear disaster. The repeated attacks on the plants are apparently meant to pressure Russia into handing the plant back to Ukrainian authorities.
The recent attacks came as a mission of experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) are preparing to visit the plant.
The authorities of the Zaporozhye region said that they are prepared to protect the IAEA mission. However, they voiced concern over the fact that six out of the mission’s 11 members represent NATO countries, which have been providing Kiev with massive military support.
It’s worth noting that most of the recent Ukrainian attacks on the Zaporozhye NPP were carried out with NATO-supplied artillery and missile systems.