On May 29, the Israeli military revealed what it described as the “longest, most significant” Hezbollah attack tunnel uncovered during the past winter’s Operation Northern Shield.
The 1km tunnel, which stretches between the Lebanese village of Ramiyeh and the Israeli settlements of Zarit and Shtula, contained railroads to transport equipment, and was equipped with electricity, communication systems, ventilation and ladders.
“Hezbollah has been allowed to roam freely in southern Lebanon and to dig from civilian houses into Israel … We will continue to defend our border, our sovereigntyand most importantly our civilians,” a spokesman for the Israeli military, Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, said in a short video showcasing the tunnel.
The Israeli military launched Operation Northern Shield on December 3 of last year with the aim of discovering and neutralizing Hezbollah’s attack tunnels. Six tunnels, including Ramiyeh’s tunnel, were discovered in the course of the operation.
According to the Journalism Post, the Israeli military will fill Ramiyeh’s tunnel with liquid concrete to remove the threat and prevent Hezbollah from using it.
Israel says that Hezbollah had planned to use these tunnels to kidnap or kill civilians or soldiers, or even to capture settlements in the northern part of the country. The Lebanese group has never denied that it has such plans. However, its leader hinted in an interview last year, that not all the tunnels were uncovered.
More on this topic: