On June 28th, the Houthi spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Saree claimed of a successful attack on Saudi-led coalition positions in the southern parts of the Kingdom.
He claimed that the Houthis used five ballistic missiles and five drones in a joint operation on “sensitive” military positions in southwestern Saudi Arabia over the past 24 hours.
The operation targeted a camp of the Saudi National Guard in Najran, and military positions in Abha International airport in the city of Abha as well as King Khalid Air Base in Khamis Mushait.
Saree said in a tweet that the hit was accurate.
He stressed that the operation came in retaliation for the kingdom’s ongoing siege and aggression on Yemen.
Fighting between the Houthis and the Saudi-led coalition is still on-going for Marib city, and the fighting is intensifying following June 24th, when the Houthis claimed they had carried out a successful military operation with a drone swarm on a training camp in southern Saudi Arabia.
Houthi-run Al Masirah television channel said coalition warplanes conducted 13 strikes late on June 26th.
“The fighting continued until the early morning,” one of the sources, a local official, said. “They are the heaviest in weeks.”
According to MSM reports, the clashes over the weekend have led to a total death toll of at least 111 on both the Houthi and Saudi-led coalition’s sides.
Yemeni puppet government officials said that since June 24th, the Houthis had mounted intensive attacks from the north, south and west, but were unable to breach Saudi-led coalition defenses which were supported by air cover from the Saudi air force.
“These areas witnessed fierce fighting amid artillery shelling from both sides and intense coalition air raids,” one government military official said.
In addition to ramping up the offensive on Marib, the Houthis have also stepped up drone and missile strikes on Saudi targets, including its oil facilities.
This month the outgoing UN envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths told the Security Council his own efforts over the past three years to end the war had been “in vain”.
The fighting has killed tens of thousands and left some 80% of Yemenis dependent on aid, in what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Military Situation In Yemen On June 27, 2021 (Map Update)
- Military Situation In Yemen On June 26, 2021 (Map Update)