The Houthis announced on December 27 that the Yemeni Missile Force had launched a Badir-1P precision-guided rocket at a Saudi military camp in the Kingdom’s southern region.
Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari, a spokesman for the Yemeni group, said that the rocket strike targeted a large Saudi military camp in the province of Najran.
“Dozens [of personnel] of the Saudi military, including officers, were killed or injured,” Brig. Gen. Sari said.
The Badir-1P, which was revealed on October 27, is an INS\GPS guided version of the Badir-1 solid fuel artillery rocket. Experts believe that the Badir-1 family is derived from the Iranian-made Fajir-5 rocket.
The Saudi-led coalition has not commented on the rocket strike, so far. The coalition rarely acknowledges a successfully attack on its troops.
Yemen’s al-Masirah TV said that the rocket attack was a response to a recent Saudi airstrike on a local market in the Houthis’ stronghold, Saada. The airstrike, which took place on December 24, killed 17 civilians including 12 Ethiopian refugees.