On March 22, the Saudi-led coalition announced that its air-defense means had intercepted a ballistic missile over the southern Saudi province of Jizan.
In a statement shared by the Saudi Press Agency, the coalition claimed that the ballistic missile was launched by the Houthis (Ansar Allah) from Yemen. According to the coalition’s claims, the missile was heading towards Jizan’s city center.
“The [Houthi] militia’s grave escalation of its violations is meant to thwart the Yemeni talks,” the coalition said in its statement, referring to a new peace initiative for Yemen that Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states are hoping to launch before the end of March.
The Houthis have not claimed responsibility for the missile attack, yet. The group does not always announce its attacks on Saudi Arabia.
A few days earlier, the Houthis carried out a large-scale attack with drones and missiles on Saudi Arabia. The attack, codenamed “Operation Breaking the Siege 2,” targeted several vital facilities in the Kingdom’s western and southern regions. Material losses were reported were reported as a result of the attack, which the Houthis said was a response to the Saudi-led coalition’s siege on Yemen.
The recent attacks on Saudi Arabia were likely an attempt by the Houthis to improve their stand before any talks on the war in Yemen.
So far, the Saudi-led coalition has been refraining from responding to the Houthis’ attacks. This could change if the group refuse to support the new Saudi-led peace initiative.
MOREO N THIS TOPIC:
THESE GUYS NEED A MANEUVERING MISSILE TECH TO EVADE AIR DEFENSES