On March 26, the Houthis (Ansar Allah) announced that they had carried out a large-scale attack on targets inside Saudi Arabia with missiles and drones.
The large attack, codenamed “Operation National Day of Resilience,” is meant to commemorate six years of the Saudi war on Yemen.
During the attack, the Houthis targeted four facilities of Saudi oil giant Aramco in Ras Tanura, Rabigh, Yanbu and Jizan as well as Kind Abdulaziz Air Base in Dammam with twelve Samad-3 suicide drones and eight missiles of the Zulfiqar, Badir and Saeer types.
The Yemeni group also targeted several Saudi military positions in the provinces of ‘Asir and Najran with six Qasef-2K suicide drones.
“The Yemeni Armed Forces [allied to the Houthis] warns aggression forces of the consequences of going on with their aggression and siege against the people of faith and wisdom [in Yemen],” Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari, a spokesman for the Houthis said in a statement.
From its side, the Saudi-led coalition claimed that its air-defense means had intercepted a ballistic missile as well as eight drones launched from Yemen over the Kingdom’s southern region. The Saudi Press Agency released photos showing the wreckage of some of the downed drones.
Nevertheless, the Saudi Ministry of Energy acknowledged that a petroleum products distribution terminal in Jizan was hit. According to a spokesman for the ministry, the attack caused a fire in one of the terminal’s tanks. Nevertheless, no casualties were reported.
“The Kingdom strongly condemns this cowardly attack against vital installations. The attack does not only target the Kingdom, but also petroleum exports, the stability of energy supply to the world, freedom of world trade, as well as the global economy,” the spokesman said. “ It also affects maritime traffic and exposes coasts and territorial waters to serious environmental consequences.”
Operation National Day of Resilience was the fourth large-scale missile and drone attack by the Houthis on high-value targets in Saudi Arabia this year.
- On February 28, the Houthis carried out Operation Deterrent Balance 5 which targeted several military positions in Riyadh as well as in the Kingdom’s southern cities of Abha and Khamis Mushait.
- On March 7, the Yemeni group carried out Operation Deterrent Balance 6 which targeted the port of Ras Tanura on the eastern coast of Saudi Arabia along with positions in the southern provinces of ‘Asir and Jizan.
- On March 19, the group carried out Operation 6th of Sha’ban which targeted a large oil refinery of Aramco near the Kingdom’s capital Riyadh.
The Houthis’ recent attacks on Saudi Arabia demonstrate their growing capabilities. These attacks will not likely stop, as long as the Kingdom is determined to continue its war on Yemen.
- Pro-Saudi Forces Shell Suburbs Of One Of Largest Red Sea Ports Amid Kingdom’s Complains About ‘Coward Houthis’
- In Video: Houthis Shot Down US MQ-9 Drone Over Central Yemen