The Yemeni Missile Force and Air Force, both allied to the Houthis, announced on September 10 that they had struck a “high-value target” in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, in a joint operation.
In a statement, Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari, a spokesman for the pro-Houthi wing of the Yemeni military, said the “high-value target” was attacked with a Zulfiqar ballistic missile and three Samad-3 suicide drones.
“The attack is a response to the continuous escalation by the enemy and its continuous siege on our dear country,” the spokesman said, adding “We promise the criminal and aggressor Saudi regime with painful and hurtful operations if it continues its aggression and siege on our great country and our dear people.”
The Samad-3 drone, which has a range of more than 1,500 km, was revealed last year. Nevertheless, nothing is known about the Zulfiqar missile, which was used by the Houthis in previous attacks on Saudi Arabia.
While the Houthis claim that their operation was successful, the Saudi-led coalition said several missiles and drones were intercepted after being launched from Yemen.
Saudi Arabia rarely acknowledges its losses in Houthi drone and missile attacks. The upcoming few days may reveal more information on the Yemeni group’s new operation and its results.
- Saudi-backed Forces Suffer Another Setback In Yemen’s Marib Province (Map Update)
- Saudi Arabian Air Force Strikes Houthi Positions In Response To Advance