The Houthis admitted that their troops were responsible for a fire that led to the deaths of 45 at a migrant center on March 7th.
Houthi security forces had responded to a protest at a Sanaa holding facility on March 7 by launching three tear gas canisters without obtaining permission from their command, according to a statement carried by the rebels’ Saba news agency late on March 20th.
“One of the three [canisters] landed on a foam mattress, resulting in a fire that spread rapidly,” it said.
The statement said 11 security personnel had been detained, along with a number of senior officials, and that they would be tried in court.
The Houthis, who are locked in a six-year conflict against the internationally recognised Yemeni government, expressed “deep regret” over the incident at the Sanaa holding facility and promised to investigate.
The UN envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, told the Security Council that the “extraordinary, horrific fire” had reminded the world “of the plight of the migrant community”.
This is a tragedy, and still the Houthis admitted to it and are attempting to deal with the consequences.
This is still in stark contrast of the Saudi-led coalition’s conduct. It frequently breaches the al-Hudaydah ceasefire, carries out airstrikes on civilian targets and refuses to stand responsible for any of its conduct.
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 117 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours
- On March 21, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 13 airstrikes on the Sanaa province
- On March 21, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 2 airstrikes on the Amran area
- On March 21, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 13 airstrikes on the Sarwah area
- On March 21, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 3 airstrikes on the Khab and Shaaf area
- On March 21, Ansar Allah reportedly attacked Riyadh with several drones and missiles
- On March 22, clashes between Ansar Allah and Saudi-led forces continued in the east of Hilan
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Saudi-led Coalition Shares Footage Of Recent Strikes On Houthi Vehicles, Positions
- Six Years Of Steadfastness: Houthis Summarize Their Achievements In War With Saudi Arabia