UPDATE: The first batch of militants has left the Douma district.
A first batch of Jaysh al-Islam fighters is about to left the Duma district towards the northern city of Jarabulus, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA). The source said that the first batch will consist of 40 buses.
Meanwhile, Jaysh al-Islam released dozens of captives from its main prison in Duma district, that’s known as “al-Tubah”. Syrian pro-government sources said that the captives will be moved to the Damascus governorate building, where they will receive an official reception.
The evacuation of Jaysh al-Islam fighters and the release of the captives are part of the final agreement that was reached earlier on March 8. The Ministry of Defense of Russia revealed that 8,000 fighters of Jaysh al-Islam along with 40,000 members of their families will be evacuated from the Duma district under the agreement.
Jaysh al-Islam informed the residents of Duma district that a civilian committee will remain there to temporary mange the district and arrange a reconciliation agreement for the fighters who had opted to stay.
Once the agreement is fully fulfilled, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) may launch a new military operation to clear the Eastern Qalamun pocket.