Warplanes of the Russian Aerospace Forces carried out more than 35 airstrikes on terrorists positions in Greater Idlib on October 19. According to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), the Russian airstrikes targeted the following areas:
- The town of Taftanaz and its key airbase in the eastern Idlib countryside;
- The towns of Hizareen, Maarzita, Rakaya Sijneh and Tell al-Nar in the southern Idlib countryside;
- The towns of al-Qarqur and Zaizoun in the northwest Hama countryside;
- The town of Kabani and its outskirt in the northern Lattakia countryside;
- The town of Kfar Dael in the western Aleppo countryside.
Opposition activists and outlets released several videos showing the pinpoint Russian airstrikes on Taftanaz airbase, which is a key military camp of al-Qaeda-affiliated Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS).
This was the most intense wave of Russian airstrikes on Greater Idlib in months. According to many pro-government activists, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) will soon launch a military operation in the region.