According to last reports, US President Donald Trump is considering a possibility of a military response to the chemical attack in Syria.
US President Donald Trump told some members of the US Congress that he was considering a possibility of a military response to a chemical attack in the Syrian province Idlib, the CNN TV-channel reported on Thursday, citing its own unnamed sources.
The CNN’s sources said that the US president still had not firmly decided to take such a step, but had already started to discuss possible military actions with Pentagon chief James Mattis, whose opinion he respects.
US officials told the TV-channel that the Pentagon had long-standing options to strike chemical weapons capability of Syria, noting that those options had been presented to the Trump’s administration.
CNN pointed out that its sources stressed the fact that a decision still has not been taken.
Meanwhile, a senior official in the White House told the Reuters news agency that the US does not exclude a military response to the chemical attack in Idlib.
Earlier, Trump said that the chemical attack in Idlib has changed his attitude to toward Syria and country’s President Bashar al-Assad. When the US President was asked whether he was formulating a new policy on Syria, he answered: “You’ll see.”
On Tuesday, the National Coalition for Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces reported that 80 civilians were killed and 200 others were injured in the chemical attack in Khan Shaykhun city in Idlib province. Oppositionists blamed the Syrian government forces for the attack. The Syrian Army’s Command resolutely rejected the accusations and blamed militants and their patrons for the attack. The Russian Defense Ministry also rejected these charges, but the West has already blamed Syria for everything. The US, the UK and France presented a draft resolution on the incident to the UN Security Council.