Death toll from Kabul attack rises to 64

Donate

60 people died in a suicide blast outside a mosque in 2011, since then it was the worst attack in Kabul. 

Death toll from Kabul attack rises to 64

Afghanistan’s interior ministry raised the number of the death toll of a suicide bombing and gun attack by the Taliban in Kabul to at least 64 as hundreds injured. The ministry raised the dead number from 28 to 64 on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, militants detonated a truck bomb in front of  Afghanistan’s main intelligence agency the National Directorate of Security (NDS).

60 people died in a suicide blast outside a mosque in 2011, since then it was the worst attack in Kabul.

“I was here when a huge explosion happened,” a local witness told independent.co.uk, who works in a nearby restaurant. “I saw three boys with severe head injuries. My uncle was injured and my brother is missing, I don’t know what happened to him.”

Taliban issued a statement about the attack and said that as part of its announced “spring offensive” it targeted a unit protecting government ministers and MPs.

However, the Taliban militants have intensified their attacks across the country since Tuesday when they started their so-called annual spring offensive code name “Operation Omari.”

After the United States and its allies attacked the country as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror, Afghanistan has been gripped by terror for more than 14 years. Although the 2001 attack overthrew the Taliban, still it poses a significant security

Donate

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!

  • Daniel Rich

    No military/police checkpoints?