Syria has condemned the planned Turkish military operation in the country’s northeastern region, holding the U.S.-backed Kurdish forces responsible for this escalation.
A source in the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates told the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) on October 9 that any Turkish operation in the region will be a violation of the international law and a blatant breach of the International Security Council’s resolutions.
“The hostile behavior of Erdogan’s regime appears clearly through the Turkish expansionist ambitions in the Syrian territories, and it couldn’t be justified under any pretext, and what the Turkish regime claims regarding the security of the borders is refuted by this regime’s ignorance of Adana Agreement,” the source said.
Reached in 1998, the Adana agreement address the security concerns of both countries and provides a set of measures to secure the border.
The unnamed Syrian source went on to hold Kurdish forces in northeast Syria responsible for the upcoming Turkish invasion of the region.
“The Syrian Arab Republic holds some of the Kurdish organizations responsible for what is taking place due to their subordination to the U.S. project as they have been previously warned during the meetings with them against the dangers of that project and to not be tools serving the U.S. policy against their homeland, but these organizations have insisted on being tools in the hands of foreigners,” SANA quoted the source as saying.
The source concluded the statement by stressing that Syria will confront “the Turkish aggression” by all legitimate means. The source also promised that the government will welcome all of its “misled citizens” if they return to the righteous road in a way that would guarantee Syria’s unity and territorial integrity.
These remarks came as Turkey is finishing its preparations for the planned operation in northeast Syria. The country’s Foreign Minister revealed earlier that the Damascus government will be informed about the operation.