On January 29, Saudi-backed forces thwarted an infiltration by the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in the northern Yemeni province of Saada.
According to the al-Arabiya TV, Houthi fighters attempted to infiltrate Saudi-led coalition defenses west of the al-Tibab al-Suwd hills in the district of Baqim. The district is located near the border with the Saudi province of ‘Asir.
“The infiltration attempt by the terrorist Houthi militias west of al-Tibab al-Suwd is the most violent since the middle of last year,” Col. Hilal al-Abbasi of the Saudi-backed 5th Border Guard Brigade told the UAE-based channel.
Col. al-Abbasi added that several armored vehicles of the Houthis were targeted by the artillery of Saudi-backed forces while heading to Baqim’s center.
According to al-Arabiya, seven Houthi fighters were killed by Saudi-backed forces. Several vehicles of the Yemeni group were also destroyed.
The clashes in Baqim highlights the unstable situation in Yemen. The Houthis carry out such attacks in response to the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes.
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 227 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours.
- On January 29, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on the Khab and Shaaf area.
- On January 29, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 5 airstrikes on the Sarwah area.
- On January 29, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 3 airstrikes on the Zaher area.
- On January 29, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 5 airstrikes on the Madghal area.
- On January 29, an explosion took place in the Khur Maksour district of Aden city wounding several people.
- Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio announced the cancellation of licenses to export missiles and aerial bombs to Saudi Arabia and the UAE for 18 months.
- On January 30, clashes between Ansar Allah and Saudi-led forces continued in the Madghal area and east of Sarwah.
Despite recent reports which claimed that the Biden administration will work towards ending the war on Yemen, the US has done nothing to achieve this so far. Washington didn’t even remove the Houthis from its terrorism list.
- At Least 150 Members Of Saudi-Backed Forces Defected To Houthis In Yemen (Map Update)
- Military Situation In Yemen On January 27, 2021 (Map Update)