The People’s Liberation Army Navy is preparing to receive the first Chinese domestically built aircraft carrier.
“The scaffolding around the ship, temporarily named the Type 001A, was removed and the deck was cleared, Shanghai-based news portal thepaper.cn reported, suggesting that the launch date was getting close.
However, experts said tidal conditions yesterday were not conducive for a launch to mark the navy’s birthday, and expected a ceremony to take place in the next few days,” The South China Morning Post reported on April 25.
The carrier has a displacement of 70,000 tonnes. It is 315 metres long, 75 metres wide and has a cruising speed of 31 knots.
SF recommends previous analyses about China and its military capabilities:
- Chinese Aircraft Carrier Development. What Is New?
- China Expands Its Amphibious Capabilities
- Russian and Chinese Next Generation Destroyers
- China successfully test launches new DF-41 ICBM into the South China Sea
- Birth of the Chinese Aircraft Carrier Force
- The South China Sea Crisis: International Law, Sovereignty and the Control of Natural Resources
- Chinese Naval Power
- Military Analysis: China’s Ballistic Missile Arsenal
Fresh photos of the Type 001A: