On March 25th, Boko Haram assumed responsibility for the attack on Nigerian soldiers in Goniri.
According to the group, 100 soldiers were killed, many were wounded, 3 vehicles were destroyed. The group also said it captured 6 SUVs, an MRL, weapons and ammunition.
As expected, ISWAP claims responsibility for the attack in Goniri. The numbers claimed by the group: 100 soldiers killed, many wounded, 3 vehicles destroyed, 6 SUVs, an MRL, weapons and ammunition captured. pic.twitter.com/bSCge56ZCm
— Tomasz Rolbiecki (@TomaszRolbiecki) March 25, 2020
Islamic State West Africa Province (Boko Haram, ISWAP), made another claim on the same day – an attack on the Nigerian army in Khaddamari on March 23rd or 24th.
These attacks came amid reports that the Nigerian army was carrying out an operation against Boko Haram militants, and it was having some success.
The Air Force even released footage of airstrikes.
The NAF conducted some airstrikes in the area, shown in this video. I do hope that in the clip between 0:06 and 0:13 doesn't show killed soldiers because, in my opinion, that'd be humiliating for the Army. pic.twitter.com/W6uUvnCFeW
— Tomasz Rolbiecki (@TomaszRolbiecki) March 24, 2020
The footage, however, also shows killed Nigerian soldiers, in a presumably ambushed convoy, between 6 seconds and 13 seconds in the video.
On March 22nd, Boko Haram assumed responsibility for two other attacks, in Baga.
Two attacks claimed yesterday by ISWAP – both in Baga, both targeting military 4×4 vehicles with IEDs, both claiming their damage and killing and wounding of the Nigerian soldiers. pic.twitter.com/saHUd6DIzF
— Tomasz Rolbiecki (@TomaszRolbiecki) March 23, 2020
The militant activity continues ramping up, in deadlier and deadlier attacks, while the Nigerian Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai assured that in a matter of days Boko Haram will be crushed.
“Specifically, few days ago, our troops deployed in Damboa Bornu State recorded a resounding tactical victory against the evil forces of Boko Haram who dare the superiority of our Forces.
They paid very dearly for it by the monumental losses in men and equipment. Let me once more remind us that the ongoing operations in the NE is asymmetrical and not a conventional warfare. We hereby solicit the support, prayers, patience and understanding of all Nigerians.”
These claims ring hollow, as back in August 2019, the Nigerian army announced that Boko Haram had been defeated, and attacks continue and victims, both soldier and civilian are in the dozens in most attacks.
The situation in the Sahel, in the G5 – Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger is deteriorating, with militants carrying out frequent attacks with impunity.
Two soldiers in Mali and three civilians in Burkina Faso died in suspected jihadist attacks in the Sahel on March 24th, a day after Islamist rebels killed scores of troops in Chad, security sources said.
In Burkina Faso, meanwhile, a security source said three civilians died in a “terrorist attack” in Tankwoarou in the east of the country on the same day.
Africa, and especially West Africa is quickly becoming a hotbed of ISIS terrorists, and it is quickly becoming the new “caliphate” after their efforts were denied in Syria and Iraq.
However, the entire continent is under threat, as insurgents in Mozambique, in East Africa, released their first video since 2017 saying that they wish for sharia rule.
— Eric Morier-Genoud (@emorier) March 26, 2020
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- 92 Chad Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram’s Deadliest Attack To Date
- Nigeria Announces Defeat of Boko Haram, 1 Day After Attack Attributed to the Group Leaves 65 Dead