Azerbaijan is ready to accept a ceasefire in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, President Ilham Aliyev said during an interview with Fox News on October 24.
The Azerbaijani President said his troops are ready to lay down their arms, if the Armenian side accept an agreement that would see Armenian troops withdrawing from Nagorno-Karabakh.
“I have said this many times. Even today, we are ready to agree on a ceasefire. But at the same time, the Prime Minister of Armenia should declare that they adhere to the principles developed jointly by the USA, Russia and France,” Aliyev said.
Azerbaijani forces launched a large-scale attack on Nagorno-Karabakh on September 27. Turkey is not only supporting Baku with military equipment, but also with hundreds of Syrian mercenaries, who have been already spotted on the region’s frontlines.
Despite the presence of overwhelming evidence, Aliyev denied that his forces are being backed by Syrian mercenaries brought by Turkey.
“We don’t need any mercenaries,” the Azerbaijani President said, “It’s all fake news aimed at damaging the image of the country and diminishing the bravery of the soldiers on the battlefield.”
During the interview, Aliyev also boasted about the military achievements of its forces, including the destruction of several Armenian S-300 air-defense systems.
“We have destroyed more than 230 tanks, 6 S-300 air-defense systems and hundreds of armored vehicles so far,” Aliyev told his interviewer, denying that Azerbaijani combat drones are targeting civilians.
Azerbaijani forces were reportedly behind a number of attacks on civilian sites in Nagorno-Karabakh, including a landmark church.
Aliyev remarks indicate that Azerbaijan is not willing to accept any political settlement that does not force Armenia to retreat from Nagorno-Karabakh. The Armenian side will not likely approve these conditions.
- Azerbaijan Pushes Into Nagorno-Karabakh, Asks Citizens To Stop Taking Videos Of Armed Forces
- Weapons of Karabakh War: Israel’s Orbiter 1K Loitering Munition UAV