Armenian troops were fleeing the battlefield in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, the Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan claimed on October 17.
In an official statement, the Ministry said Azerbaijani troops had broken through several defense lines in the directions of Aghdere-Aghdam and Fizuli-Hadrut-Jabrayil. New positions were allegedly captured. That’s why Armenian troops were forced to flee the battlefield.
“A s a result of the combat operations, the 1st battalion of the 5th mountain rifle regiment of the Armenian armed forces retreated, leaving its positions and a large number of killed and wounded behind,” the statement reads, “Up to 300 reservists left their combat positions on the defense line of the 1st motorized rifle regiment of the armed forces of Armenia and retreated. Among the reservists, there are also many killed and wounded. The members of the special police detachment, attached to the regiment as an augmentation force, also left their combat positions and fled. There is a shortage of food and ammunition in the units of the regiment.”
Furthermore, the Azerbaijani MoD said Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh were suffering from a shortage in supplies and low morale.
The Azerbaijani MoD also claimed seven T-72 battle tanks, two BM-21 multiple rocket launchers, eight D-30 and ten D-20 howitzers, ten trucks loaded with ammunition as well as seven vehicles of Armenian forces to be destroyed.
The Azerbaijani MoD claims were contradicted by the Armenian Unified Infocenter. The center didn’t report any change in the operational-tactical situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.
“The operational-tactical situation did not change,” the center said in a statement, “At dawn, Azerbaijani forces once again violated the humanitarian ceasefire by resuming shelling in the direction of peaceful settlements. The civilian infrastructures of Stepanakert and Shushi were more intensively hit. The subdivisions of the Artsakh Defense Army carried out equivalent operations to stop adversary fire.”
The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh remains tense. The ceasefire announced last week has so far failed to stop military operations in the region.
Azerbaijan is apparently determined to continue its attack on Nagorno-Karabakh, which was launched on September 27. Armenia on the other side, is still refraining from taking any decisive military or political moves.
- Multiple Civilians Killed And Injured In Armenian Ballistic Missile Strike On Azerbaijan’s Ganja (Videos)
- Azerbaijan Released Video Showing Strikes On Armenian S-300 Air Defense System