Clashes between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces continued in the contested Nagorno-Karabakh region on September 27 evening. Azerbaijan, supported by Turkey, seeks to take control over the entire region and dismantle the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, a self-proclaimed state with an Armenian majority and integrated into Armenia.
Azerbaijani forces have been advancing sine the morning and so far, according to the Azerbaijani side, have captured at least 7 villages and several key heights in Fuzuli and Jabrayil areas. Turkey, a strategic ally of Azerbaijan, already declared its full support to its actions and said that it is ready to provide any requested assistance.
The Armenian side says that Turkish forces and proxies directly participate in the clashes. Arayik Harutyunyan, the President of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, said that not only Azerbaijan, but also Turkey is at war with the republic.
The Armenian Defense Ministry also declared thatit has data confirming the participation of mercenaries (likely members of Syrian militant groups funded by Turkey), the “Turkish involvement” and the usage of “Turkish weapons”.
Armenian sources continue releasing videos of the destroyed military equipment and killed soldiers (at least 8 bodies) of Azerbaijani forces. The first seconds of the video likely shows vestiges of a Mi-8 helicopter of the Azerbaijani military:
Armenian Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan said that about 200 Azerbaijani soldiers were killed. He also said that 30 armored vehicles and 20 drones were destroyed. According to Hovhannisyan, 90 out of almost a hundred wounded Armenian soldiers are in normal condition, the rest were taken to a military hospital in Yerevan. At least 16 Armenian soldiers were confirmed to be killed.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijan declared that it got a fire control over the road between Armenia and the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. Forces of Azerbaijan allegedly took the Murov height of the Murovdag mountain range and established fire control of the Vardenis-Aghdar road connecting Karabakh with Armenia. The Ministry of Defense said that this will prevent the transportation of additional troops and equipment from Armenia along the route in the direction of the Kelbajar and Aghdar regions in Karabakh.
The Armenian side denied these claims and said that the Azerbaijani attack on its positions near the town of Mrav was repelled. Nonetheless, it confirmed that the Armenians lost ‘some positions’ in the area Talish and in the southern areas.
Clashes are ongoing.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- New Stage Of Armenian-Azerbaijani Conflict Already Turned Into Regional War
- Azerbaijan Makes First Gains In Emerging War Against Armenia (Map, Video)
- Armenia Imposes Martial Law, Declares Mass Mobilization Amid Full-Scale Clashes With Azerbaijan (Videos)