On October 13th, Iranian air defense reportedly detected and shot down an Azerbaijan-operated HAROP suicide drone.
The drone is developed and supplied by Israel’s IAI.
The Armenian armed forces also reportedly downed another Azerbaijani Su-25 warplane. No video or photos have been released yet.
The Azerbaijani armed forces attacked military equipment, including tactical ballistic missiles, serving on the territory of the Republic of Armenia, in the border area with Karvachar, only on the assumption that the equipment was ready to strike at peaceful settlements of Azerbaijan.
The Azerbaijan side released a photograph of a destroyed Armenian missile, saying it was being prepared to use against Azerbaijani targets.
“On October 14, at about 01:00, it was recorded that the Armenian side deployed several operational-tactical missile systems with ballistic missiles at the starting position in the border zone with the occupied Kalbajar region of Azerbaijan.
The missile systems deployed in this territory were targeted at the peaceful population and civilian infrastructure in Ganja, Mingachevir, and other cities of Azerbaijan.
The Azerbaijan Army has taken preventive actions to ensure against the recurrence of another war crime and to suppress the missile strike similar to the one committed by Armenia in Ganja on October 11.”
Armenia said it would now respond in suit, targeting locations inside Azerbaijan if the need arises.
“From now on, the Armenian armed forces reserve the right to attack any military object or military movement in Azerbaijan. The military-political leadership of Azerbaijan bears full responsibility for the process of changing the logic of the war zone. Fortunately, there were no victims,” Ministry of Defense spokesperson Shushan Stepanyan reported.
In the evening, heavy artillery battles took place in the north-eastern and central directions of Artsakh.
The Azerbaijani side is inflicting active missile and artillery strikes against both combat and allegedly on non-combat targets.
The Armenian side responds to the enemy with return artillery fire.
On the morning of October 14th, Azerbaijan, in the Southern, South-Eastern, North-North-Eastern directions, resumed artillery fire, especially intensively firing in the South-East, North-North-East. The units of the Artsakh defense army are fighting back in all directions of the front line to stop the opponent’s offensive activity, continuing to fulfill the sacred mission of protecting the borders of the Motherland, the MoD of Artsakh said.
So far, about 673 cluster and percussion bombs of Turkish and Israeli production have already been found in Stepanakert alone, according to the State Emergency Service of the Republic of Artsakh.
There are 25 civilian casualties and over 100 wounded among the civilian population of Artsakh Republic.
“We have more than 5800 damaged objects of both residential, cultural and social significance,” says Mekhak Arzumanyan, representative of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Artsakh Republic.
Additionally, Armenian media pointed in the direction of Azerbaijani propaganda, and did make some fair points:
“Another point that cannot be ignored. Armenia regularly publishes not just videos “from the fields”, but evidence of the defeat of the opponent’s armored vehicles in battle. For example, today – a grenade launcher was planted on a tank. And if not for the Turkish drones, what would the Azerbaijani Armed Forces publish? And this despite the fact that not only Azeri, but also Turkish journalists were on the front line in the very first hours of the attack on Karabakh, on September 27. Where are they now?
This gives the impression that Azerbaijan’s offensive has been stopped or is close to it. And if it were not for Turkey’s help from the air, there would not have been any success at all.
This, in turn, explains why Azerbaijan suddenly switched to massive shelling of Stepanakert. A direct parallel with Donetsk in 2014-15, when after each failure of the Ukrainian army, shells rained down on the city as revenge.”
In an attempt to throw a wrench in Azerbaijan’s plan, the member of Armenian parliament said that it was necessary to begin the process of recognizing Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) as an independent state.
Armenian MP Mikayel Melkumyan said:
“One of the guarantees of the security of the Armenian people living in Artsakh is the recognition of the independence of the republic. In the coming days, our people, the entire parliament must begin the process of recognizing Artsakh. Now is the right moment. In the coming days, we must definitely make every effort to make this recognition happen”.
If it is recognized by at least one state, it could lead to UN peacekeepers being deployed to enforce peace and separate the forces.
Gary Kasparov put Azerbaijan’s sovereignty in question, which wasn’t any secret, keeping in mind Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ambitions as the leader of the Turkic world.
“Lenin, who viewed Turkey as the main ally, transferred two territories – Nakhichevan, populated in half by Armenians and Azerbaijanis, and Karabakh, inhabited exclusively by Armenians, to Azerbaijan. In fact, there is one detail that fundamentally separates the problem of Karabakh with Crimea and many other problems. The law of the Soviet Union, which was adopted in 1990, provided for a fairly clear rule for the secession of the union republic, and it was clearly stated that the autonomous republics and national groups of compact residence should vote separately. And in the event of this disintegration, they have the right to their own self-determination. This is a very important point that many people ignore now. Therefore, the question of Azerbaijan’s sovereignty is dubious,” Kasparov observed.
The US also appears to be becoming more vocal towards the Azerbaijan-Armenia war, since it promises to be more severe than initially anticipated, since the ceasefire brokered by Russia has entirely fallen through.
US Presidential Candidate Joe Biden issued a statement on the matter:
Separately, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also called on both sides to observe the ceasefire agreement.
“The United States calls on Azerbaijan and Armenia to implement their commitments to a ceasefire as agreed and cease targeting civilian areas, such as Ganja and Stepanakert,” Pompeo said in a tweet. “We deplore the loss of human life and remain committed to a peaceful settlement.”
Pompeo’s tweet followed a statement by the co-chairs of the Minsk Group — Russia, France and the U.S. — who on October 13th called for the leaders of Azerbaijan and Armenia to meet the full obligations of the cease-fire mediated in Moscow over the weekend “in order to prevent catastrophic consequences for the region.”
The total death toll amid the fighting is believed to be about 600, including military and civilian deaths, The Associated Press reported.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- ‘Free Syrian Army’ Supporters Claim 16 Militants Arrested For Refusing To Fight In Azerbaijan, Say Those Sent Being Used As Cannon Fodder
- Turkey Threatens Armenia With Direct Military Intervention In Karabakh War
- Azerbaijani Drone Films Strike On Armenian Troops In Karabakh