UPDATE: The US military revealed that a US service member and two contractors were killed, and 6 aircraft operated by contractors were damage.
Al-Shabab militants conducted an attack on a military base used by US and Kenyan forces in neighboring Kenya.
On January 5, Kenya’s army spokesman Colonel Paul Njuguna said an attack had been made at 5:30 a.m. local time “to breach security at Manda Air Strip,” located on Kenya’s coast near the border with Somalia.
“The attempted breach was successfully repulsed. Four terrorists’ bodies have so far been found. The airstrip is safe. Arising from the unsuccessful breach a fire broke out affecting some of the fuel tanks located at the airstrip,” he added.
The US military command for Africa, AFRICOM, confirmed the attack in an official statement.
Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack. it said that its forces had “successfully stormed the heavily fortified military base and have now taken effective control of part of the base.” It also claimed that there had been both Kenyan and American casualties.
“Seven aircraft and three military vehicles were destroyed in the attack,” said the statement, which included photos of aircraft ablaze and an al-Shabaab militant standing nearby.
However, the real number of destroyed aircraft seems to be only 2.
— IDRIS SHETTO (@idris_shetto) January 5, 2020