The media hysteria over the alleged mass casualties among alleged Russian private military contractors in Syria (MORE HERE) is developing further.
On February 14, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) released a report claiming that “23 of the Russian security companies and members of al-Baqir Brigade [a pro-government militia]” had been killed in an explosion of the booby-trapped weapons depot at Tabiya Jazira in the province of Deir Ezzor.
The SOHR argued that pro-government forces were in the area “to advance” on “the oil and gas fields on the eastern banks of Euphrates River”, i.e. the area controlled by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.
Then, the SOHR’s head Rami Abdel Rahman told Agence France-Presse that 15 of the 23 allegedly killed persons were Russians.
“Fifteen Russians working for a Russian private security company were killed in an explosion at a weapons depot of the company in Tabiya Jazira in Deir Ezzor province,” he said.
The SOHR suggested pro-government fighters had been trying to get weapons from the depot when it exploded. However, the media outlet provided no photos or videos to confirm its claims.
A major part of the circulating reports concerning the alleged Russian casualties in Syria is a part of the ongoing propaganda campaign against the Syrian-Russian-Iranian alliance.