The US admitted that soldiers had been injured in the Iranian strikes that took place on January 8th on the al-Asad air base.
In a January 16th statement, Col. Myles Caggins, spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve said:
“As previously stated, while no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed.”
“Out of an abundance of caution, some service members were transported from Al Asad Air Base, Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, others were sent to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, for follow-on screening. When deemed fit for duty, the service members are expected to return to Iraq following screening. The health and welfare of our personnel is a top priority and we will not discuss any individual’s medical status.”
An unnamed official, cited by Defense One said that the number of injured soldiers was 11 and they had been sent out of Iraq, to Kuwait and Germany to get treated.
“As a standard procedure, all personnel in the vicinity of a blast are screened for traumatic brain injury, and if deemed appropriate, are transported to a higher level of care. At this time, eight individuals have been transported to Landstuhl, and three have been transported to Camp Arifjan,” said the anonymous US official.
Captain Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which oversees all military in the region, confirmed those details in a similar on-the-record statement emailed to reporters.
“It is expected that these troops will return to Iraq when they are deemed fit for service,” Captain Bill Urban said.
Initially, the attacks was deemed by US officials as aimed at causing structural damage, and avoided positions that housed military personnel.
In a January 8th press conference, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley said:
“The points of impact were close enough to personnel and equipment, so on and so forth, I believe, based on what I saw and what I know, is that they were intended to cause structural damage, destroy vehicles and equipment and aircraft, and to kill personnel.”
Initially, there were reports originating from Iranian media that 80 US soldiers had been killed in the attacks, after which the official statement by Iranian officials was that the aim of the attack wasn’t to kill any US soldiers, but rather as a “slap in the face.”
This, however, is the 2nd time that revelations are made regarding the scope of damage resulting from the Iranian attack. Initially, there were on victims and no injuries, as well as almost no damage.
Reports by Danish soldiers, however, suggested that helicopters had been destroyed and other equipment, and the damage is quite extensive, as media footage showed in recent days.
Now, US officials admit that, actually, soldiers had been injured in the attacks, but not in any serious capacity.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- US Troops Filmed Moment When Iranian Missiles Hit Their Base In Iraq
- Summing Up Results Of Iranian Missile Strike On US Military Bases In Iraq